This is a tough word and originally it was not on my list of words to ponder, a list now grown to more than thirty and a list that will surely grow. We are all being forced to make decisions that are way more important than what we typically encounter. It seems like we have them in a pile in front of us and it is a bit overwhelming.
We can put off these decisions because that will only make things worse. Here are a few thoughts.
- We are not alone, everyone in the world right now is having to make decisions.
- We can’t make all of the decisions all at the same time.
- Identify the most important decisions you have to make and put them in a category by themselves.
- If you are stuck make one easy decision to get you going.
- If you have to assign a number to each important decision and then randomly pick one.
- Make your decision and act on it. You will know soon enough if it was the right thing to do. Taking action has some therapeutic value in itself.
In the book “The One Thing” a book I gave to Paul and he used it with the staff at Northwest Covenant Church, there is one central question in the book. This might help you in making decisions.
Remember, everyone is in the same boat right now. We are all making decisions. This is where I feel a ton of empathy for so many people right now, knowing that they are faced with some very tough decisions. We will be stronger when we start making them.